Skip to main content

Criminal Justice Reform, Yemen, Syria: This Week Is A Major Libertarian Moment

By: Jack Hunter
The Washington Examiner


If Ron Paul, Rand Paul, or Gary Johnson had been elected president during any of their White House runs, two of the top agenda items for these libertarian leaders would have easily been criminal justice reform and Congress finally taking back its constitutional war powers.

It’s happening.

The Senate and House overwhelmingly passed the First Step Act this week, considered by many to be the most sweeping criminal justice reform legislation to date.

For years, libertarian Republicans and conservative reform groups like Right on Crime and the Koch network have joined with progressives on this front, making little headway.

Now a bipartisan majority in Congress and a Republican president are set to make it a reality.

This unprecedented reform passage took place just a week removed from the Senate voting to end U.S. support for Saudi Arabia’s war in Yemen.

This “is historic because really it's been a long time since Congress has stood up, grabbed their constitutional power and said to a president, ‘You can't go to war without our permission," Sen. Rand Paul said of the vote. “In fact, I can't remember it really ever happening that Congress has done this.”

Read more at The Washington Examiner.

Popular posts from this blog

My 2011 Trip

Hey Patriots! Hope your New Year is off to a good start! I am multitasking my head off to prepare for a trip around the country of indefinite length and scope starting next week. I'll be headed for Colorado first where I'll investigate medical cannabis laws and their effects; then I'll be flying out to Washington DC for the month of February to attend CPAC and ISFLC; and after that I'll move north to New Hampshire to spend March hanging with members of the Free State Project and learning more about it. I'm not positive what's next after that, but I've got a general inkling, and it might involve venturing overseas to learn a little more about the broader world around us and relay everything I see to you readers here at The Humble Libertarian ! Wish me luck and keep your eye out for updates as I travel. Peace, Wes Wes Messamore , Editor in Chief, T H L Articles | Author's Page

Occupy Mordor or Destroy the Ring?

There has been mixed responses to Occupy Wall Street by libertarians. Some see the movement as a positive, while others see them as little more than lazy hipsters. But libertarians must be sensitive to why people feel the way they do about issues. The occupiers point out a legitimate concern that "the 1%" control vastly more power and wealth than "the 99%", and corporations have accumulated more power and privilege than is healthy for an open society. Some other concerns and demands are absurd, but the heart of the matter is on track. The question is why has this happened? While many on the left are quick to blame a nebulous thing called "greed", or lack of regulation, the matter is more complicated than that. This calls for a Lord of the Rings metaphor. Let's say that Sauron, the big cheese bad guy of Lord of the Rings, is the corporate hegemony. The 1%. Most people in Middle Earth agree that this is a problem, but there are a few differ...

I've Been an Outspoken Critic of Censoring Conservatives, But I'm Not Leaving Patreon Over Sargon of Akkad's Ridiculous Remarks

By: Wes Messamore The Humble Libertarian Photo: Gage Skidmore
–––As Featured On–––