Skip to main content

Libertarian Party of New York Achieves Ballot Access

By: Wes Messamore

Photo: Gage Skidmore

ALBANY, N.Y. - New York Libertarian Party candidate Larry Sharpe made history on election day by garnering enough votes in the Empire State's governor race to secure ballot access for the Libertarian Party of New York for the next four years.

With a tally of 90,739 votes, Sharpe surpassed the 50,000 vote threshold in a gubernatorial election to satisfy New York's requirements for automatic ballot access for a third party.

Sharpe, a business consultant, entrepreneur, and political activist, was a close second for the Vice Presidential nomination at the Libertarian Party National Convention in 2016, narrowly losing to former Massachusetts Governor Bill Weld.

During his campaign for Governor of New York, Sharpe visited all 62 counties in the state to offer voters a third choice.

"I’m trying to be the governor of all New York state and I’ve crossed the entire state," Sharpe said in a recent conversation with The Press. "I’m so proud of that. No one else has done that, no one else is going to do that."

LPNY Chairman Jim Rosenbeck said:

"We view today’s results as much more than the snapshot of a single election. Today’s outcome portends a larger political revolution in New York State. The LPNY will build on this momentum. Those who came to us for a great candidate in Larry Sharpe are encouraged to stay and work together to promote the only political ideology that consistently defends your right to pursue happiness with minimal interference from the state. You can be as liberal as you want. You can be as conservative as you want. We don’t care. The Libertarian Party champions your natural rights and defends those of your neighbor. Upon closer examination, many if not most will find that they are libertarian in heart and spirit. We welcome you to the cause of liberty."

Popular posts from this blog

My 2011 Trip

Hey Patriots! Hope your New Year is off to a good start! I am multitasking my head off to prepare for a trip around the country of indefinite length and scope starting next week. I'll be headed for Colorado first where I'll investigate medical cannabis laws and their effects; then I'll be flying out to Washington DC for the month of February to attend CPAC and ISFLC; and after that I'll move north to New Hampshire to spend March hanging with members of the Free State Project and learning more about it. I'm not positive what's next after that, but I've got a general inkling, and it might involve venturing overseas to learn a little more about the broader world around us and relay everything I see to you readers here at The Humble Libertarian ! Wish me luck and keep your eye out for updates as I travel. Peace, Wes Wes Messamore , Editor in Chief, T H L Articles | Author's Page

I've Been an Outspoken Critic of Censoring Conservatives, But I'm Not Leaving Patreon Over Sargon of Akkad's Ridiculous Remarks

By: Wes Messamore The Humble Libertarian Photo: Gage Skidmore

Occupy Mordor or Destroy the Ring?

There has been mixed responses to Occupy Wall Street by libertarians. Some see the movement as a positive, while others see them as little more than lazy hipsters. But libertarians must be sensitive to why people feel the way they do about issues. The occupiers point out a legitimate concern that "the 1%" control vastly more power and wealth than "the 99%", and corporations have accumulated more power and privilege than is healthy for an open society. Some other concerns and demands are absurd, but the heart of the matter is on track. The question is why has this happened? While many on the left are quick to blame a nebulous thing called "greed", or lack of regulation, the matter is more complicated than that. This calls for a Lord of the Rings metaphor. Let's say that Sauron, the big cheese bad guy of Lord of the Rings, is the corporate hegemony. The 1%. Most people in Middle Earth agree that this is a problem, but there are a few differ...
–––As Featured On–––