Skip to main content

John Stossel Questions Glenn Beck On His Libertarianism [Video]

John Stossel: "Glenn, I welcome you to libertarianism and moving toward it. I hope all the time..."

Glenn Beck: "I still have a lot to learn, but I will tell ya, it's refreshing to talk to somebody who will welcome somebody with open arms... I am willing to admit when I had been wrong, and try to correct it."

This clip up at The Daily Paul today:



Top comment on the YouTube page for this video: "Glenn Beck can't be trusted."

Fine, don't trust him. But keep paying attention to him. Agree with him when he's right, disagree with him when you disagree with him. In my estimation, he's a net positive for liberty in this country because he's pushing Americans to have conversations about things and consider ideas that they have never discussed or considered before, ideas favorable to liberty.

These blanket, all-or-nothing statements about people, about parties, about historical trends and events... they fail to help libertarians and our audience to perceive clearly, because they reduce nuanced understanding to false dichotomies: good or bad entirely, trustworthy or untrustworthy completely, yes or no, good or bad, for or against, red or blue... the mainstream media and their audiences tend to love stark dichotomies, because they make critical thinking seem easy and accessible to people without having the do the tough work of really embracing complexity, nuance, and tension, of untangling things, of seeing how rough reality is about the edges, rather than smooth, straight, and perfectly euclidean. But it's not. It's "Mandelbrotian," bumpy, fractaline.

Embrace the nuance. Hug it tightly. Exult in it. Say, "I like how he's saying this, but I can't agree with him on that." Say, "I'm not sure." Say, "I think she's on the right track, but I'm confused about her recent statements regarding x..." Say, "I wonder if I'm on the right track."

In all likelihood, the reason Glenn Beck is moving in the direction of libertarianism is his ability to do just this. To embrace his confusion about issues in humility. To like some aspects about libertarianism, but struggle with others, through it all-- to keep pushing and asking questions and engaging in the conversation.

And by the way, I absolutely loved seeing Beck sitting in the hot seat as John Stossel asked probing questions and sat in judgment. You've got a powerful figure in media who commands a respectable following kowtowing to the libertarian Stossel and insisting, "No really! I am a libertarian. I've changed!" Whether he's to be trusted or not, lick your finger and hold it to the winds. They're blowing our way.

Popular posts from this blog

My 2011 Trip

Hey Patriots! Hope your New Year is off to a good start! I am multitasking my head off to prepare for a trip around the country of indefinite length and scope starting next week. I'll be headed for Colorado first where I'll investigate medical cannabis laws and their effects; then I'll be flying out to Washington DC for the month of February to attend CPAC and ISFLC; and after that I'll move north to New Hampshire to spend March hanging with members of the Free State Project and learning more about it. I'm not positive what's next after that, but I've got a general inkling, and it might involve venturing overseas to learn a little more about the broader world around us and relay everything I see to you readers here at The Humble Libertarian ! Wish me luck and keep your eye out for updates as I travel. Peace, Wes Wes Messamore , Editor in Chief, T H L Articles | Author's Page

Occupy Mordor or Destroy the Ring?

There has been mixed responses to Occupy Wall Street by libertarians. Some see the movement as a positive, while others see them as little more than lazy hipsters. But libertarians must be sensitive to why people feel the way they do about issues. The occupiers point out a legitimate concern that "the 1%" control vastly more power and wealth than "the 99%", and corporations have accumulated more power and privilege than is healthy for an open society. Some other concerns and demands are absurd, but the heart of the matter is on track. The question is why has this happened? While many on the left are quick to blame a nebulous thing called "greed", or lack of regulation, the matter is more complicated than that. This calls for a Lord of the Rings metaphor. Let's say that Sauron, the big cheese bad guy of Lord of the Rings, is the corporate hegemony. The 1%. Most people in Middle Earth agree that this is a problem, but there are a few differ...

I've Been an Outspoken Critic of Censoring Conservatives, But I'm Not Leaving Patreon Over Sargon of Akkad's Ridiculous Remarks

By: Wes Messamore The Humble Libertarian Photo: Gage Skidmore
–––As Featured On–––