Skip to main content

Signs of the Aynpocalypse: Thousands Lose Power After Thieves Steal Copper Wire

So I'm going to do a new regular feature here at HumbleLibertarian.com: "Signs of the Aynpocalypse." Any time there's a news story that seems like it could have come to us right from the pages of Ayn Rand's novel, Atlas Shrugged, I'll post it as part of this feature. Yeah, I know-- this could keep me very busy. It's probably ultimately unnecessary, because pretty much all news these days feels like it could have come from Atlas Shrugged.

I've considered multiple names for this feature: Aynmageddon, The Ayn Rapture, Randpocalypse, Shruggedpocalypse, Atlaspocalypse, but figured I'd stick with Aynpocalypse unless a clever commentator can come up with something better. Randpocalypse is out because there's another Rand these days that dominates news and libertarian news headlines, so I don't want anyone to get confused.

Then to be technically somewhat correct, a portmanteau using the word "Armageddon" doesn't make much sense, because despite its eschatological associations, it simply refers to a field where a very gruesome battle is supposed to take place, and a portmanteau with the word "Rapture" is also not quite the sense I'm looking for, as that refers to a relatively recent Christian belief that true believers will suddenly disappear en masse just prior to seven years of unprecedented tribulation on earth. It's a pity, because "Ayn Rapture" really rolls off the tongue. I'm I over thinking this? Which one do you like best?

Anyways, on to today's feature: Thousands in Pennsylvania lost power after thieves stole copper ground wire in a particularly dangerous and daring act of theft (hat tip: The Drudge Report):

A copper wire theft knocked out power for thousands of people in Cranberry Township.

According to First Energy, someone broke into a substation on Route 19 between Cranberry and Zelienople and stole all the copper ground wires.

The suspect had to get through a large fence with barbed wire to access the copper wire.

First Energy said it was an extremely dangerous theft.

General breakdown of civilization with thieves scouring for precious metals from the wreckage of America's decaying infrastructure? Sounds like Aynpocalypse is upon us!


Wes Messamore,
Editor in Chief, THL
Articles | Author's Page

Popular posts from this blog

My 2011 Trip

Hey Patriots! Hope your New Year is off to a good start! I am multitasking my head off to prepare for a trip around the country of indefinite length and scope starting next week. I'll be headed for Colorado first where I'll investigate medical cannabis laws and their effects; then I'll be flying out to Washington DC for the month of February to attend CPAC and ISFLC; and after that I'll move north to New Hampshire to spend March hanging with members of the Free State Project and learning more about it. I'm not positive what's next after that, but I've got a general inkling, and it might involve venturing overseas to learn a little more about the broader world around us and relay everything I see to you readers here at The Humble Libertarian ! Wish me luck and keep your eye out for updates as I travel. Peace, Wes Wes Messamore , Editor in Chief, T H L Articles | Author's Page

I've Been an Outspoken Critic of Censoring Conservatives, But I'm Not Leaving Patreon Over Sargon of Akkad's Ridiculous Remarks

By: Wes Messamore The Humble Libertarian Photo: Gage Skidmore

Occupy Mordor or Destroy the Ring?

There has been mixed responses to Occupy Wall Street by libertarians. Some see the movement as a positive, while others see them as little more than lazy hipsters. But libertarians must be sensitive to why people feel the way they do about issues. The occupiers point out a legitimate concern that "the 1%" control vastly more power and wealth than "the 99%", and corporations have accumulated more power and privilege than is healthy for an open society. Some other concerns and demands are absurd, but the heart of the matter is on track. The question is why has this happened? While many on the left are quick to blame a nebulous thing called "greed", or lack of regulation, the matter is more complicated than that. This calls for a Lord of the Rings metaphor. Let's say that Sauron, the big cheese bad guy of Lord of the Rings, is the corporate hegemony. The 1%. Most people in Middle Earth agree that this is a problem, but there are a few differ...
–––As Featured On–––