Skip to main content

Cool It: A Book Review and Movie Preview



Bjorn Lomborg is a self-described socialist and Director of the Copenhagen Consensus Centre, an institution that seeks to view social justice at an objective economics level - guiding national governments and policy makers to better understand the exact good that different proposed solutions can produce per dollar.

A few years ago, Lomborg became an instant right-wing media darling for his book, Cool It: The Skeptical Environmentalist's Guide to Global Warming. But I'm not sure any of these pundits actually read the book, because Lomborg is clear about his socialistic outlook, and his argument is merely one of economic priorities.

Lomborg just as quickly became the whipping boy for left-wing vitriol - those who believed he was simply ignoring science. I'm quite certain none of these pundits read the book. Because when Lomborg released his latest work regarding the same issue, Smart Solutions to Climate Change: Comparing Costs and Benefits, people went berserk.

"Oh, now he believes in global warming?!" they scoffed. He always did. That was clear to anyone who read "Cool It", which is now becoming a documentary. But the trailer above (which seems to pitch Lomborg as the anti-Al Gore) makes me nervous that right-wing money backed the film. Which is a shame, because it's the very people that Al Gore convinced with An Inconvenient Truth that need to now see this movie and hear Lomborg's thoughtful cost-benefit solutions to the problem.

If guys like Lomborg became the policy wonks of the Democratic party in America, I would be a much happier man. From a libertarian standpoint, their methods of spending might still be mere legalized theft. But at least it would no longer be nearly so wasteful.


Eric Olsen,
Regular Columnist, THL
Articles | Author's Page | Website

Popular posts from this blog

My 2011 Trip

Hey Patriots! Hope your New Year is off to a good start! I am multitasking my head off to prepare for a trip around the country of indefinite length and scope starting next week. I'll be headed for Colorado first where I'll investigate medical cannabis laws and their effects; then I'll be flying out to Washington DC for the month of February to attend CPAC and ISFLC; and after that I'll move north to New Hampshire to spend March hanging with members of the Free State Project and learning more about it. I'm not positive what's next after that, but I've got a general inkling, and it might involve venturing overseas to learn a little more about the broader world around us and relay everything I see to you readers here at The Humble Libertarian ! Wish me luck and keep your eye out for updates as I travel. Peace, Wes Wes Messamore , Editor in Chief, T H L Articles | Author's Page

I've Been an Outspoken Critic of Censoring Conservatives, But I'm Not Leaving Patreon Over Sargon of Akkad's Ridiculous Remarks

By: Wes Messamore The Humble Libertarian Photo: Gage Skidmore

Occupy Mordor or Destroy the Ring?

There has been mixed responses to Occupy Wall Street by libertarians. Some see the movement as a positive, while others see them as little more than lazy hipsters. But libertarians must be sensitive to why people feel the way they do about issues. The occupiers point out a legitimate concern that "the 1%" control vastly more power and wealth than "the 99%", and corporations have accumulated more power and privilege than is healthy for an open society. Some other concerns and demands are absurd, but the heart of the matter is on track. The question is why has this happened? While many on the left are quick to blame a nebulous thing called "greed", or lack of regulation, the matter is more complicated than that. This calls for a Lord of the Rings metaphor. Let's say that Sauron, the big cheese bad guy of Lord of the Rings, is the corporate hegemony. The 1%. Most people in Middle Earth agree that this is a problem, but there are a few differ...
–––As Featured On–––