Skip to main content

The Proper Role of the Judiciary

In a recent article at Reason Magazine, Damon W. Root chronicles the debate between "majoritarian conservatives" and "libertarians" over the proper nature and role of the judiciary in a civil society.
This article appeared on Young Americans for Liberty

While I would tend to side with the libertarians in the debate as it's framed, I think some important clarifications to Root's article are necessary in order to better understand the judiciary's role.

Perhaps the framework in this article is not Root's, but simply his description of the debate as it has been framed over the decades. I'll admit that I am not a scholar of jurisprudence, so I wouldn't know. In any case, it seems to me that the framework is flawed, or at best, unclear.

The flaw lies in the definition of judicial activism. On the one side, Root has the conservatives opposing what they consider "judicial activism" which they define as a court which is very active in overturning previous rulings and laws passed by our country's elected representatives, a view that Root argues is inherently "pro-government."

One of the conservatives' exemplars is Robert Bork:


'As Bork sees it, the “first principle” of the American system isn’t the protection of individual rights. “In wide areas of life,” he writes in The Tempting of America, “majorities are entitled to rule, if they wish, simply because they are majorities.” That means that in the vast majority of cases, the courts should give lawmakers the benefit of the doubt and presume the constitutionality of the disputed law, including economic regulations. In other words, courts should adopt a pro-government posture of judicial deference.'


Naturally, the conservatives' antagonists are libertarians who believe that a court should be quite active in overturning precedents and laws that violate liberty. But I'm concerned about applying the label "judicial activism" to this view of the courts. Judicial activism smacks of a willingness to "legislate from the bench," -that is, to make law in our courts. If the libertarians believe this is okay, they're wrong. If they don't, then they need to be more clear in their use of the term "judicial activism."

The question is not and should not be one of "how active" our courts are, defined as the number of precedents and laws they overturn. What is wrong with an "activist" court that overturns several bad precedents, or right about a "non-activist" court that stands on the poor decisions of previous courts?

The question also cannot be one of how active courts are in defending liberty unqualified by the constraints of our Constitution and constitutional laws. "Bad precedents" must mean "unconstitutional," not "unlibertarian" precedents. The courts are not and should not simply be champions of liberty. It is not their place to hand down the law from on high, but to interpret it, regardless of how the courts may enlarge liberty by their usurpation of the law.

It is my hope that the libertarians in this debate do not seriously propose that courts are bound to make decisions that they believe protect liberty, outside the constraints of the Constitution. If libertarians believe they will achieve their goals by handing the judiciary the unchecked power to make law instead of interpret it, the only necessary remedy is a cursory look at the jurisprudence of the last century.

Any power that can be used for you, can be used against you. Perhaps the executive should be "activist" in this sense, and consider liberty- not law- its highest imperative? Put any branch above the law, and you will do immeasurable injury to liberty. What if a judge ignores the law in order to advance what the judge sees as someone's "right" to health care?

I can't be sure from Root's article, whether this is actually the position of the libertarians, but if it is, then they are mistaken, and if it is not, then they or Root should be more clear. I contend that the most clear explication of the most correct understanding of the proper nature and role of the judiciary is: that the role of the judiciary is to interpret written laws, not to make them.

If they interpret the law and find that previous rulings contradict it, then they should overturn them. If they find that a less fundamental law (e.g. one passed by Congress) contradicts a more fundamental one (e.g. a provision of the Constitution), then they should overturn it.

But courts should not philosophize and decide which laws, precedents, and Constitutional provisions injure or enlarge liberty, and make their decisions accordingly- hence the qualification "written" in the explication above.

It is not for the judiciary to appeal to some "higher" law than those duly-enacted, written laws of our republic, but for the people and their representatives, by the process of Constitutional amendment (or occasionally, by secession or revolution).

Again, if I have mischaracterized the libertarians' position or Root's understanding of it, then I am relieved. But I should not have felt compelled as I did to write this article and clarify the point. It should have been clearer in the libertarians' arguments over the decades, or else in the Reason article to begin with.



W. E. Messamore, Editor in Chief
Articles | Author's Page

Popular posts from this blog

My 2011 Trip

Hey Patriots! Hope your New Year is off to a good start! I am multitasking my head off to prepare for a trip around the country of indefinite length and scope starting next week. I'll be headed for Colorado first where I'll investigate medical cannabis laws and their effects; then I'll be flying out to Washington DC for the month of February to attend CPAC and ISFLC; and after that I'll move north to New Hampshire to spend March hanging with members of the Free State Project and learning more about it. I'm not positive what's next after that, but I've got a general inkling, and it might involve venturing overseas to learn a little more about the broader world around us and relay everything I see to you readers here at The Humble Libertarian ! Wish me luck and keep your eye out for updates as I travel. Peace, Wes Wes Messamore , Editor in Chief, T H L Articles | Author's Page

I've Been an Outspoken Critic of Censoring Conservatives, But I'm Not Leaving Patreon Over Sargon of Akkad's Ridiculous Remarks

By: Wes Messamore The Humble Libertarian Photo: Gage Skidmore

Occupy Mordor or Destroy the Ring?

There has been mixed responses to Occupy Wall Street by libertarians. Some see the movement as a positive, while others see them as little more than lazy hipsters. But libertarians must be sensitive to why people feel the way they do about issues. The occupiers point out a legitimate concern that "the 1%" control vastly more power and wealth than "the 99%", and corporations have accumulated more power and privilege than is healthy for an open society. Some other concerns and demands are absurd, but the heart of the matter is on track. The question is why has this happened? While many on the left are quick to blame a nebulous thing called "greed", or lack of regulation, the matter is more complicated than that. This calls for a Lord of the Rings metaphor. Let's say that Sauron, the big cheese bad guy of Lord of the Rings, is the corporate hegemony. The 1%. Most people in Middle Earth agree that this is a problem, but there are a few differ...
–––As Featured On–––